Overview - Reports contain multiple rows with instances of the Primary Record Type as soon as you add a column from a "Related Object" that has multiple values, making it hard to visually consume the data.
Problem - In List Reports we see the value of each Primary Record Type repeated in multiple rows for any record that has more than one value in a many-to-one relationship. This creates output with unnecessary duplication that makes the report difficult to read.
Root Cause (with example)
- Each Initiative can have multiple Goals linked
- A List Report (Features -> List) generates one report row for each Goal linked to an Initiative
- This is because there are no aggregation rules that would allow every Goal linked to this Initiative within the single Initiative row
Desired Outcome (in context of Root Cause example)
- Show one row per Initiative, with "n" comma-separated values in the Goals column (where "n" is equal to the number of Goals linked to that Initiative)
- Create a UI feature on Pivot (and Heirarchy?) reports that allows a "non-Primary Record Type" Column to aggregate and comma separate values where not aggregating these values would otherwise result in producing duplicate rows of the Primary Record Type
Steps to replicate
- Create 3 new Goals
- Create 3 new Initiatives
- Relate all three Goals to each of the 3 Initiatives (total 9 "relationships")
- Create a "Feature List" (aka custom pivot) https://example.aha.io/products/ABC/bookmarks/feature_grids/new
- Set "Primary Record Type" to "Initiative"
- Using "Add records related to Initiative" choose "Goal"
- Instead of seeing 3 rows (One Goal per Initiative, 3 values per row in the Goal column) you see 9 rows (Each Initiative 3 times, once for each Goal on each Initiative).